Monday, July 1, 2013

Summer on the Homestead

Here in Louisiana we get quite a long summer season.
By the time the first official day of summer is here we're in the 100's with extremely high humidity.
So what do we do in the summer?
All of the feeding & work tends to get done in the morning.
I also try to do any baking or canning in the morning or evening hours when it's cooler.
I change my laundry schedule to 1 load a day done usually in the evening. (When the dryers on the air conditioning runs more) $$
Reading, movie watching, and of course lots of swimming!
 
Our gardening season can be pretty long depending on how much you want to water & the heat.
So far we've been harvesting cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers (several types), cantaloupe, watermelon, & squash. 
I've been canning & it will continue on to today.  I will be making some tomato sauce & relish.
 
I do enjoy the spontaneous activities of summer here but after about a month or so I'm ready to get back into our old routines.  I've already received our homeschool curriculum for the 2013-2014 year and I'm having fun looking over & planning that too!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment