Tuesday, July 22, 2014

What's up doc?

My daughter & my son's girlfriend hard at work peeling away!
Do carrots really help you to see better?
Sure they do.  Have you ever seen a bunny wearing glasses?
My son used to love that joke.

We finally got some rain last week so we went out, in the rain, and pulled up all of the carrots that were left in the garden.
Carrots are mostly tops so with the tops we had 2 laundry baskets full of carrots.

Sunday after church we sat out on the porch and cut off all of the tops & ends.

Then brought them in for a through washing & peeled them.

After we set all of the small ones in a pile and cut the others into coins.
The stove was busy.  Some of the carrots here waiting to be blanched and some tomato sauce cooking on the left.
 


Blanched them for about 3 minutes and then allowed them to drain & cool.

Then we packed them up in freezer bags & in the freezer they went.

We ended up with 10 bags full.

So now we've got plenty of squash & carrots put up!

I really appreciated the help I got from the family or I'd have been at this all day. With everyone helping it took us about 2 hours from start to finish.

As for all the green tops & peels they didn't go to waste. The chickens loved them.

Thanks y'all!

(You can easily can carrots, I just personally don't like the texture of a canned carrot)

No comments:

Post a Comment