Friday, July 4, 2014

Homemade Meat Sauce

We are fortunate enough have a big garden every year & I can all of my own tomato products. --Except ketchup.  Well, I actually have made homemade ketchup but my daughter really prefers the store bought kind so I do buy ketchup.

So now on to the sauce...

Homemade Meat Sauce

3/4 - 1 lb. of ground beef
1 quart or 4 c. tomato puree
1/4 c. tomato paste
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 T. chopped garlic
1 T. basil
1 T. parsley
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Brown beef & drain off the fat. ( I add some salt & pepper to the beef while browning.)
Then add in all of the rest of the ingredients.
Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.- About as long as it takes to boil the water & cook the noodles.

That's it. Serve over pasta, vegetables, etc.

*I do not add sugar to my tomato puree or paste when I make them myself. If you are buying them in the cans taste the sauce before adding in the sugar. You may not need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment