Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Grain Free Pancakes Using Coconut Flour

Let me first say I have a canister of coconut flour & I've tried a few different recipes using it and none have turned out well until today.  I have come to know that coconut flour is expensive, soaks up all the moisture so you have to add extra of that.  It also makes things 'crumbly.'  So if you have read, as I have on several pinterest boards & blogs, that it replaces regular flour in recipes that is just plain not true. 

Anyhow, being as I'm not one to let things go to waste I gave this recipe a try this morning & it is pretty good!


3 eggs (separated)
Add yolks to a bowl or blender
Add whites to separate bowl and set aside
To the yolks, add:
1 1/4 cup almond milk (or other milk)
1/4 cup melted coconut oil (or other oil)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp truvia (or pinch of stevia powder)
1/4 tsp salt
Blend then add:
1/3 cup almond flour
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/3 cup ground flax
1 TBLS Baking Powder
Set aside.
Beat Egg whites for several minutes until stiff peaks form when removing betters.  (This step is optional but it is the secret for fluffy pancakes so I recommend it.)
Gently fold batter into egg whites, stirring g-e-n-t-l-y just until combined.
 
In the meantime, preheat your griddle to a medium heat.  You know it is ready when drops of water sizzle when they hit the pan.  You want to cook these slowly to make sure they are done on the inside.  

No comments:

Post a Comment