Saturday, November 9, 2013

Mac & Cheese

I don't know why, but my daughter cannot eat the easy mac type macaroni and cheese. When she does her lips and around her mouth turn red & it hurts.  It took a couple of times to pin it down, but that's the culprit.  This does not happen with the great value mac & cheese in the box.  There are so many chemicals in that stuff  & I don't like it anymore so we rarely have it.
Here is a fairly easy way to make your own mac & cheese.
Like most of my meals it makes a whole pot full.  I've never tried to freeze it but the left-overs reheated are good.

1 lb. elbow macaroni
1/3 c. flour
1/4 c. butter
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. dry mustard (optional)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 1/2 c. whole milk or half & half
2 c. shredded cheese (I usually use cheddar)

Cook macaroni according to package directions. I like it just done, not mushy.  Drain the macaroni.  While it is draining go back to the same pot and put in the butter, flour, and seasonings.  Constantly stir this with a whisk for about 2 minutes.  Then slowly add in the milk & keep whisking.  It should be like a thin gravy. If it is too thick just add in a little more milk.  When it is at the consistency you like turn the fire off.  Now stir in the cheese.  When the cheese is melted stir in the macaroni.
Yum!

*For a pot luck or company I will make the sauce just a tad thinner.  Put it in a greased casserole dish. Top with more shredded cheese & allow to bake just until the cheese is melted.  --Happy Thanksgiving :)

No comments:

Post a Comment