Monday, October 14, 2013

Long-Cooked Healing Chicken Stock (or turkey)

Any time I bake a chicken I save all the carcass.  After pulling most of the meat off I place it in my crockpot. Fill it to the top with water & any veggies and seasonings I may have in the fridge. 
(parsley, basil, cilantro, garlic, celery, carrots, cabbage are the norms around here) I use some or all.  Fill the pot up to the top but mostly it should be water.
Turn the crockpot on low and allow to cook over night.  (12 hours or so)
Allow to cool a bit & then pour the stock through a strainer to have a smooth beautiful stock. 
You can now put your stock in the refrigerator and allow the fat to settle at the top and scoop it off if you like.  I usually don't though. This is good for you when your immune system is low.
Put into quart jars or freezer bags and freeze for later or use it now. 
If you freeze in jars make sure to leave a couple inches at the top for expansion or your jars will crack.
I usually take the bones & veggies and give them to the dogs.  The bones are so soft they won't hurt the dogs now and they love this special treat.
A big, beautiful, golden pot of stock waiting to be made into chicken & dumplings!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment