Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Homeschooling

This is our 10th year to homeschool!  There are so many blogs & web sites out there to tell you how, why, etc. but for us the best & shortest answer I can give you is...It just works for our family!
I have one child that is graduated from homeschool and he now works full-time at our family's machine shop.  I'm happy to say he seems to be a well adjusted, hard working, responsible adult. -despite the fact he was homeschooled from 5th grade on.  LOL
My daughter is in the 9th grade this year. While we have made our rounds through most of the curriculum choices out there I find a mixture of different things work for us. Also just plain old life experience that they get from not being cooped up in a school all day.
If that works for you & your children that's great.  I know many teachers & I was once a substitute myself and for many traditional school works for them. I'm not here to debate that.
I just thought I'd share the books we're using right now.

Curriculum books we use daily:

Apologia General Science
Easy Grammar
A Beka History & Geography
Writing Strands
Spell Well (for high school students)
Teaching Textbooks Math
Beautiful Girlhood & Companion Guide / Bible

A couple of other books we've got on our end table are:

Stokes Field Guide to Birds (lots of birds around lately)
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
The Simple Life Devotionals
Storey's Basic Country Skills

No comments:

Post a Comment