Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Green Tomato Relish

My husband pulled all of the dead/dying plants out of the garden yesterday. We do still have a couple of tomato plants & peppers going strong. There were a lot of small green tomatoes on some of the plants so he filled up a bushel basket & brought them to me.
I looked up a recipe on pinterest and adjusted it a bit to suit my needs.
This recipe will not have exact measurements but here's how I did mine.

I used 2 big pots about 5 qts each.

To each pot fill up with chopped tomatoes, a half of a huge onion, 2-3 bell peppers.  1 T. ground mustard, 1 T. salt, 1 1/2 cups sugar, &1 1/2 cups vinegar.  Stir and allow to simmer for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Put into clean hot jars and process in pressure canner at 10lbs pressure for 10 minutes.

Set on towel overnight or about 24 hours. 

Wipe off jars & store.

I always write the year on my lids with a permanent marker. The only problem with this is that when I decide to give some as a gift I always wonder if people think it's old if it's from the year before.  Of course it's just as good, but I do wonder.    Some people use stickers but that's up to you!
Yield:  1 quart, 9 pints, & 4 half-pints

No comments:

Post a Comment