Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Annoying Homeschool Questions!?

I have homeschooled my children for the past 10 years.  My oldest started after completing 4th grade at a public school. (I have several reasons for homeschooling but I'm not going to get into that right now.)
Over the years we have gotten many questions.  Truthfully most of the time I'm more than happy to answer them or give any information. The one main thing I do is I never try to push homeschooling on anyone or make them feel guilty for not homeschooling their own children.
I saw a video earlier on annoying homeschool questions & thought this would be a fun thing to post about.
Here we go.

1.  Shouldn't they be in school?  Well, they are here with me in Wal-Mart, park, etc. so no.

2.  When are you planning on sending them back to real school?  Umm.. never.

3.  Is it legal?  Yes, right now homeschooling is legal in all 50 states. There are different rules in different states but it is legal. 

4.  What about socialization?  We're probably more social than many kids in school. We actually have to turn things down just to be able to fit it all on our calendar.

5.  Do you have a teaching degree?  Nope.

6.  How do you know they are learning? I am the teacher and if they don't get something we do it over until they do.

7.  What about report cards?  Don't need one they always get A's. (refer to #6)

8.  What about high school activities like prom?  I find it very odd that in the 13 years of school that most of us attended 'prom' seems to be the high point for so many.  There's a great number of homeschoolers in our area and they do have dances and other high school type activities, including prom. 

9.  Do you get to sit around all day in your pajamas?  If we want to.  :)

10.  How can you stand to be around your kids all day? Usually followed up with the statement, "I'd kill my kids if we were together all day."  This one is really disturbing to me. I know no one really means they would literally kill their children, but they are your children. Sure, especially as teenagers, you need alone time.  Go to your room for a while, take a walk, etc. You should still love & want to be a good mother.   If you can't stand to be around them it's probably a discipline problem that you have caused.

So there you go. My true feelings on the top 10 questions I seem to get most often.  Most of the time I just smile and nod, but I'd like to answer them like that.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment